Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Samuel Smith - Taddy Porter



A quick review of Samuel Smith's Taddy Porter...

Those of you who know me know that I prefer the stouts and porters. Except on the hottest days, I find a nice ale to be my beer of choice -- and the more color, generally the more I like it.

So it should come as no surprise that I like the Taddy Porter from Samuel Smith.





This beer sets the standard for me for porters. It's got a ton of flavor, but it's neither too sweet (malty) or too bitter. There's none of the mouth-coating feel of a cream porter or oatmeal stout, yet it has a great smooth finish. A hint of tang when you first sip it gives way to great deep toasted taste.



If you haven't had a porter, I highly recommend this one as a great benchmark.

I agree with the late, dearly missed Michael Jackson, who called this "one of the five greatest beers in the world". Believe me, Mr. Jackson had a much bigger perspective than me when he said that!





I give it a rating of 5 on my 1 - bad to 5 - outstanding scale.

No comments: